Historic Hope Glen Farm
Hope Glen Farm has over 130 years of documented history attached to its presence. The farm was originally homesteaded by William F. McIntosh, who built the barn in 1860, one year before the civil war. The gable style roof bank barn measures 35’x 60′, and was built with a limestone foundation, tongue and groove system beams, and wooden dowels. Amazingly enough, no nails were used in the original construction of the massive barn. The barn was originally used as a dairy barn, then a horse barn while a modest farm house was built. William F. McIntosh later became the first superintendent of schools in the area, a farmer that valued education.
In 1914, the farm was sold to John Healy, the owner of Healy Plumbing and Heating Company of St. Paul. Mr. Healy’s company became closely tied to the Great Northern Railroad, and as it provided the heating and plumbing for many of the train depots that were being built around the country at that time.
In 1910 when President Taft signed the bill establishing Glacier National Park as the country’s 10th national park. Mr. Healy was given plumbing contract for the train depot here in St. Paul where he met Samuel Bartlett, the architect of many of the railroad depots and Glacier National Park Lodge. Healy then commissioned Bartlett to renovate and enlarge the house.
The farm was named Hope Glen Farm, the name of John Healy’s mother’s maiden name of Hope and the house settles in a Glen Thus Hope Glen.
One morning in 1929, Mrs. Healy served breakfast to a nice gentleman in a suit. After waiting on him, he promptly insisted she take $10, which would be a large sum of money in that time. The next day, Mrs. Healy discovered that the kind man she had served was none other than the famous gangster; Machine Gun Kelly, who had been passing through after his latest bank robbery!
Call Hope Glen Farm today at 651.459.4220 for more information or for a tour of our grounds. We look forward to making your event special!